The Ins and Outs of an Ordinary Life

Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Five Pounds

I bought a new bike. Specialized Dolce Comp. Dolce means sweet. I think I will have to name her Sugar Magnolia. She won’t get here for a few weeks, at which point I’m sure we will have a monstrous blizzard. But she is on herway! And she’s so pretty!

I weighed myself, finally got brave enough to get on the scale. 113. I have gained 5 pounds over the last 5 months. I know what some of you are thinking—113 pounds! She can’t be complaining about her weight! And I’m not complaining about my weight or the need to lose weight. Now, I am a tiny person, so it is enough to make my clothes feel tight. But more important, the number is a warning. It has to stop NOW. It means I am not doing what I need to do. I know that if I do what I should be doing, the 5 pounds will come off. And I will feel better, from the inside out. When I’m where I should be, the music sounds better, the days are sunnier, and my feet don’t get cold at night! Oh, and let’s not forget, the sex is better. I also know there will always be bumps in the road, you can’t stay with the program 100% of the time. But the key is consistency, getting it right most of the time. Over the past 7 weeks (the winter preseason) I have made a good start on the road to good habits. I’m still working on a plan for 2007, with realistic goals. The realistic part is the hard part. I know that I want to be healthy and fit, but how do I measure that? How do I balance the concept of fitness with goals such as riding a century? And always, fitting it into the bigger plan, an ordinary life with family, work, and the world out there.

Now, a totally different topic. I watched a few football games this weekend and I observed that the running backs and wide receivers, in general, have the best butts. There aren't too many people who look good in spandex, but those wide receivers got it right!



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

One of the reasons I speed skate..
Spandex on a man is a beautiful thing if it's gracing a fine butt..