The Ins and Outs of an Ordinary Life

Monday, December 18, 2006

Rock n Roll Memories

Things seem to be falling into place. Over the weekend, I spent some time at the gym, I spent some time in the kitchen, I watched some football, and I did mountains of laundry. A fairly typical weekend. Yesterday DH, and sons #1 and #2 went to the Giants game. We had 4 tickets for the game, and I could have gone, but it’s really an all day affair. They left the house at 1:00 for a 4:00 game, and they didn’t return until almost 9:00. I got so much done around the house and I was content to watch the game from the comfort of my living room (especially since the Giants lost!).

On Saturday I met a couple of friends in Beacon and we went to see an exhibit at the Howland Arts Center that connected with the rock n roll girl inside me-- The Fillmore, the Avalon and the Grateful Dead. The exhibit was centered on the posters of various shows at the Fillmore that featured many artists including the Grateful Dead. There were many classic posters from San Francisco in the 60’s but also posters and memorabilia from more recent years. There were some really fabulous photos of various artists, including several of Janis Joplin. They really captured her spirit as a blues singer and her “bad girl” image. It was a great way to spend an hour or so, and made me long for some classic rock. That is a craving easily indulged, and it has zero calories. I hit the treadmill listening to the Grateful Dead, the Allman Brothers, the Who, the Doors, Janis Joplin, Jefferson Airplane, Crosby Stills and Nash, the Beatles, Derek and the Dominoes, the Band, and Santana. The miles went down easy, and faded into the past with all my rock n roll memories (well, whatever memories have remained after the fog lifted!).

No comments: