The Ins and Outs of an Ordinary Life

Monday, December 17, 2007

Avoiding Obsession

I typed "beginner triathlon training" into Google. As I started to wade through the 74,800 hits (I kid you not!), I realized that it would be easy to become obsessed with training. I took a look at a few websites with training programs, logs and journals, forums, and humorous anecdotes, and then I decided the last thing I need is to box myself into a 16 week tri-training program with long days, short days, recovery days, bricks, strength training and protein shakes. I'd be ready for the loony bin before the triathlon. So here is what I'm going to do; My Tri Training Program:

  1. I will start with the idea that I could probably finish the race today if it was today. It might not be pretty, and I might be dead last, but I think I could get it done.
  2. I am going to aim to work out 5 days a week. If I can only get in 4 days, well, then its only 4 days.
  3. My workouts will be a mixture of strength, spinning classes, running, and swimming. Duh.
  4. Since swimming is my weakest link, I will combine swimming with 1 of the others as often as possible.
  5. Since running is tough on my knees, I will limit my running to 2 miles, 2.5 miles tops. I can substitute elliptical or arc trainer for running miles.
  6. I have to bring back Dab the Wussy. There's definitely room for that in any fitness regimen.
  7. When given the opportunity to do something other than swim, spin, or run (e.g. snowshoeing, hiking, kayaking), I will take advantage of that opportunity. Outdoor adventures always trump indoor training.
  8. I will try to teach myself how to swim for real by watching Total Immersion video and doing the drills. If I make any progress, I will consider swimming lessons/professional help.
  9. I am going to eat right, reducing processed carbs as much as possible. Goodbye bagels.
  10. I will keep my own journal and use this blog to track my progress.
  11. If at any point in time between today and May 31, 2008, I decide that this is not fun or not what I want to do, I will either scale back or walk away from it.
That's the plan. There will be no obsessing. There will be plenty of healthy living, a direction, and a realistic and respectable goal. 2008 is going to ROCK.

No comments: