The Ins and Outs of an Ordinary Life

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Eye Candy v. Curves

The spinning studio has 2 rows of bikes, and I usually set up in the back row.  Yesterday there was a very buff and fit gentleman in the front row, and he was no youngster.  In fact, he was probably pretty darn close to my age!  I have to admit, I was enjoying the view.  I know there was no way I could catch him on a bike going nowhere, but I was motivated to at least have him feel my presence, to let him know that I could chase him down if we were on the road.  OK, so that’s a fantasy, I’ve never been fast, but that fantasy sure got me going nowhere faster than usual!  It gave me an extra boost of energy that I was able to take home with me.  Nice.  

At one point I looked around the room and in this particular class, the women outnumbered the men 2:1, and some of these ladies are very fit, slim, and well, HOT!  If I was a guy, I would probably be looking at these ladies with a different pair of eyes.  So how much of a distraction is the opposite sex when you are working out?  I am happily married to the same man for 20 years, but I can still look and have an occasional fantasy.  This works out in his favor, I assure you! For me, the eye candy is not a distraction, it is “entertainment” and somewhat motivating.  On one hand, I would hate to belong to a women-only gym like Curves.  I love thinking “I could spin this guy into the dirt.” On the other hand, I would like a women-only weight lifting environment .   I have gotten over feeling intimidated by the men-dominated weight room, but that was a big hurdle. But I do feel isolated and I am unlikely to ask any of the men for help or advice.  So here is what I am proposing.  Every gym should set aside times when the weight room is off limits to men.  Even the trainers should be women.  Create an environment that is far less intimidating and far more supportive for the ladies, from the beginner to the experienced competitor.  And if the men complain, just wait it out for a month or so until they see what their wives and girlfriends look like and feel like!  They can take step and pilates classes during these times.  Hmmm, I think I am going to have to stuff the suggestion box!!

No comments: