The Ins and Outs of an Ordinary Life

Thursday, March 30, 2006

Oh, How Tempting

And I'm not talking about food. While I was at the gym today, one of the trainers overheard me talking about Simply Stu's Tri and she asked me if I planned to do any more triathlons. I responded honestly-- I don't know. Turns out she has a little training business and she is running a "Get Ready for a Triathlon" training program. I know that she has been successful teaching an intro to rode biking program for women, but this triathlon workshop is new. It will probably run on Thursday afternoons this spring, 6 sessions, 2 hrs. each, with 5 or 6 women. It is so tempting, but I think I'm going to say no, for three reasons.
1) Bad timing, even though Thursday is my day off. First of all, I have to work a couple of Thursdays in April, and 2nd, I need to stay flexible in order to visit colleges with son #1.
2) I need to learn how to swim properly before I can think about perfecting my swimming for a triathlon. It's the cart before the horse thing (or is it the chicken and the egg).
3) I don't want to feed the obsession with fitness by taking this training program and then training for a triathlon. Why enroll in this program if you're not going to do a triathlon? and why do a triathlon if you're not going to train for it?
Yeah, part of me wants to do a triathlon because I know I can, even though I'm 50 years old. It's no longer about being fit and feeling great, it's about proving a point. So for now, I think I will stick to my original goal of finding a 10k and riding 50 miles in the bike tour. 'Cause that's about fun and fitness. And I am going to try to teach myself how to swim for real. Total Immersion, baby.

BTW, comfortably sore has morphed into pain even when contemplating walking up a flight of stairs. Spin class last night and trainer inflicted squats this morning. I warmed up this morning on the rowing machine instead of the arc trainer or the treadmill. Thought it might make it a little easier on my sore legs. Yeah, right.

No comments: